Duck Breast Bresaola
- 2 duck breast fillets, skin on (2x400-450g, 3x 300g)
- 60 ml rock salt
- 60 ml freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp dried small red chillies (crushed)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- Combine all the ingredients except the meat in a bowl and mix together. Rub the mixture well into the meat and then wrap loosely in baking paper and place in the fridge.
- After 4 days, remove the meat from the baking paper, then truss the meat with kitchen string, tied at 1.5cm intervals along the breast.
- Suspend from a shelf in the fridge (or hang in a cool cellar if you have one) over a tray to collect any juices for at least 3 weeks before eating.
- Slice very thinly before serving. It goes really well with ripe figs, rocket, basil, shaved parmesan, capers, cornichons and poached eggs, or is perfect simply dressed with lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and a little freshly ground black pepper.
- Duck bresaola will keep for 3-6 months in the fridge.