Apple & Brandy Liver Pate
- 400 g veal liver (chicken liver)
- 250 ml milk
- 6 tbsp cold butter + 2tbsp melted butter
- 2 shallots (peeled, chopped))
- 5 sage leaves (to taste)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (to taste)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves (to taste)
- 1 large apple (Fuji, Granny Smith. Peeled and sliced)
- 1 tsp brown sugar (to taste)
- 150 ml Brandy
- Pinch pf nutmeg (to taste)
- salt, freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Run the liver under cold water. Trim, removing any tough membrane. Cut into small pieces (~3-4 cm cubes). Place the liver into a bowl, pour the milk over the liver and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Melt 1 tbsp of the butter in the skillet and add the shallots. Stirring occasionally saute’ until is soft and translucent. Set aside.
- Peel, core and slice apple into 10-12 slices. Preheat the large clean skillet with 2 tbsp of butter over medium-low heat. Add the apples slices to the skillet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Sauté the apples, stirring frequently, for 4-5minutes. Add brandy and continue to simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove the liver form the milk and pat dry with paper towel. Preheat the large skillet with 3 tbsp of butter, rosemary, sage and thyme leaves. Add the liver, and allow to cook liver stirring frequently for a few minutes until the outside is firm but the interior is still red. Season with salt and black pepper and set aside. (don’t discard the spices).
- Blend 1/3 of the liver with 2 tbsp melted butter until smooth. Add the remaining liver with spices, shallots and apples with brandy. Pulse until finely chopped (giving a textured but not too smooth pâté). Season with salt and pepper. Serve with toasted baguette.