White semolina bread
This bread with firm crumb is perfect for sandwiches and bruschetta. It stays fresh for long time and does not require hours for making.
- 150 ml warm water
- 1 cup ( 240 ml) white flour
- 1/2 cup ( 120 ml) semolina
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp malt (optional)
- 1 tsp (2 - 2.5 g) dry yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (lard, butter)
- In a bowl sieve together white flour and semolina
- Dissolve the yeast in the water, add sugar, malt and allow to stay for 10 min in a warm place
- Make the dough adding gradually the flour. Add salt and oil at the end
- Knead the dough thoroughly for 15 min, transfer into a greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise for 1 hour in a warm place
- Shape the dough into a loaf
- Transfer the loaf onto the parchment paper and sprinkle with semolina
- Cover and allow to rise again for 20-40 min
- Preheat the oven together with the baking tray to 230C
- Make slashes on the bread
- Transfer the loaf onto the hot baking tray and bake 3-4 min at 230C
- Spray the oven, reduce the heat to 210-200C and bake for 30-35 min until nice and golden
- Cool on a wire rack
I used the bread machine to knead my bread.
The malt is an optional ingredient, but it contributes to a better rise.