- In a bowl whisk Herman sourdough starter with the flour and water. Loosely cover and set in a warm place for 4 hours, or until doubled in size.
- 225 ml starter
- 160-180 ml lukewarm water
- 350 g bread flour (AP flour+1 tsp wheat gluten)
- 2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp instant yeast (optimally, if your sourdough starter not enough mature)
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, first dough, and water. Using the dough hook mix for 3-5 minutes on minimum speed. Increase the speed to maximum and knead for 10 minutes (adding a little extra flour if it’s too sticky or a little extra warm water if it’s too dry). Add the oil and salt at the end.
- Cover the bowl with lightly oiled plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Place the bowl in refrigerator for 8-10 hours (over night).
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Punch down and shape the loaf. Sprinkle with flour, cover with kitchen towel and leave to rise for 2-3 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven with baking tray to 230ºC.
- Score the loaf, using a sharp knife. Spray the oven with the water and place the bread onto the hot baking tray. Bake for 5 minutes, reduce the heat to 220º C, spray the oven once again and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, transfer the bread on a grid and keep it in the oven for 10-15 minutes, leaving the oven door ajar. Take the bread out of the oven and cool down completely on a wire rack.