Apple Chicken Loaf
- 800 g ground chicken (ground turkey)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 large apple (Granny Smith. Fuji, Golden, peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp chopped sage (to taste)
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary (to taste)
- 100 ml dried cranberry
- 100 ml Brandy
- 50 g butter
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp apple jam (honey)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish sauce (to taste)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (to taste)
- Soak cranberries in Brandy for 30 -60 minutes.
- Heat a skillet with butter. Add the chopped onion and apples. Stir and saute´ over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Drain cranberries. Reserve 2 tbsp of Brandy.
- Place the ground chicken in the food processor. Add onion, apples, lightly beaten egg, rosemary, sage, corn starch and 2 tbsp of Brandy. Season with salt and pepper. Pulse several times until well combined. Place the mixture in a bowl. Stir in cranberries. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a small bowl, stir together the glaze ingredients until combined.
- Remove the chicken mixture from the fridge and shape into a loaf (10*25 cm). Tightly wrap with lightly oiled sheet of parchment paper (chicken skin). Tie with kitchen string and place in a roasting pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap the loaf and discard parchment paper and juices. Return the loaf to a pan. Generously brush with the glaze over the top and sides and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Allow the loaf to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce.