Flourless Nut Cake
- 150 g soft butter
- 100-130 ml brown sugar (to taste)
- 100-130 ml caster sugar (to taste)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 medium eggs (room temperature)
- 400 g lightly toasted almond meal (finely ground walnuts, hazelnuts or nuts to taste)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest (optimaly)
- 40 g almonds (lightly toasted, finely chopped)
- 100 ml raisins
- 50 ml candied orange peels (chopped)
- 100 ml orange liqueur (Brandy, orange juice… to taste)
- Soak the raising and candied orange peel in liqueur for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 175ºC. Line the bottom and sides of springform pan with parchment paper. Using the brush grease the paper with melted butter.
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar with caster sugar and orange zest. Add the butter and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs (one at a time), vanilla essence and beat until smooth. Stir the raisins, candied peel and chopped almonds. In two batches, using a rubber spatula fold almond flour, baking powder; stir until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- 300 ml nut mix (hazelnuts, walnuts, pecan, almonds..to taste)
- 25 ml brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 75 g butter
- 1-2 tbsp cream
- Roughly chop the nuts. Heat a skillet with butter. Add the nuts and stiring occasionally cook for 2-4 minutes. Add the sugar, honey and cream. Simmer for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Take off the cakefrom the oven, apply topping and continue baking for another 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the cake from the oven and set aside for 1 hour to cool slightly.
- The cake can be served at room temperature with ice cream or chilled with lightly whipped cream or Mascarpone.