Apple Almond Cake
- 2 medium apples (peeled, cored, diced)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 50 ml dark Rum
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optimally)
- In a medium bowl combine the apples,2 tbsp sugar, cinnamon and Rum. Gently toss until combined. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- 60 g cold butter (diced)
- 60 g AP flour
- 40 g almond meal (lightly toasted)
- 2-4 tbsp brown sugar (to taste)
- In a food processor combine the butter, flour, almond meal, suagr and pulse it until the mixture resembles the bread crumbs.
- Line the baking sheet with the parchment paper, scatter the crumble and bake at preheated to 200 ºC oven for 10-13 min until light-golden. Set aside.
- 100 g soft butter
- 1 large egg
- 250 ml AP flour
- 150 ml almonds (lightly toasted, finely chopped)
- 150- 200 ml light golden sugar (to taste)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ baking soda
- 5 drops Rum essence (½ tsp vanilla essence, to taste)
- 30 g Marzipan (finely grated)
- Line the spring form with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 175ºC
- Whisk the flour with baking powder and baking soda. In a large bowl beat the batter with sugar until creamy. Beat the egg and Rum essence until combine. Stir in grated marzipan, apples with Rum, chopped almonds.
- In two batches, using a rubber spatula fold flour mixture flour. Stir until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle over the cruble topping. Bake for 45- 50 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a rack for 15 minutes, then unmold and cool completely before slicing. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream