Sweet Starter Brioche
- 100 g mature Herman Sourdough Starter
- 50 g strong flour (12 % protein)
- 50 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ~ 1 tsp instant yeast
- In a glass jar combine all ingredients. Using a woody spoon stir until combined. Loosely cover and set aside in a warm place (30ºC) for 3-4 hours, until doubled volume./li>
- 200 ml poolish
- 170-180 g strong flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp water
- 100 g cold butter (cut into 1 cm pieces)
- 30-50 g caster sugar (to taste)
- Lightly whisk the eggs, egg yolk and water until combined. In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer combine the poolish and egg mixture. Using a paddle attachment mix on low speed for 7-8 minutes. Turn off a stand mixer and let the dough rest for ~ 15 minutes.
- Increase the speed to medium. Gradually adding the sugar using a dough hook mix the dough for 5-6 minutes. Remove the butter from the fridge. Drop the butter cubes, one by one into the mixture and knead the dough on fast speed for 10 minutes, until glossy and soft. Cover it with a lightly oiled plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or about 8 -12 hours).
- Remove the risen dough from the fridge and place onto a lightly floured surface. Shape it into a loaf. Place the loaf into well buttered loaf pan (22 cm). Loosely cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 ½ -2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 200ºC
- In a small bowl whisk the yolk and water until combined.
- Brush the loaf with the egg wash and bake for 25 -30 minutes until well risen and deep golden brown. Remove from the oven and turn out from the pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.